Sunday, November 9, 2008

When work becomes Fun: Seasonal Living

I was inspired by the fact that my Department Manager was leaving our department and the fact that I had nothing else to do...so I suggested a gathering at my house as a sort of "Goodbye" for Kim and I "Thank You" for everyone else in the department. Everyone was able to come except for Peter, our part-time team member. I was amazed at how much fun we had! I made some AWESOME strawberry daiquiris from scratch and had all kinds of munchy foods and a James and Kim both brought their wives (which made me miss Robert just a little bit). The greatest thing about the night was that I seem to have proven something to Keisha, one of the CSAs in my department. Keisha and I had a really hard time when she first started in my department and we both considered transferring out just to get away from each other, but we have learned to get along as time has passed, still with a little bit of stiffness between us. A lot of this is because we don't understand each others' lives and backgrounds, but Friday night seems to have changed all that because she comes into work with a big smile on her face and a grand hello for ME! I don't know if she just needed to see that I was human or she needed to hear me say that work wasn't everything or she need to see my comfy little house...I'm not sure what it was, but it made me really happy to finally make that connection that needed to be made. She even stopped by my house real quick after she got out of work tonight so that she could see the photos from the party. I'm really lucky to have such a great department of people to work with. We are all so very different, but we all get along so well and I really feel like I have made some great friendships, which, I hope will continue whenever I leave the Pascagoula Lowes. Life is good when you realize that people like you for you, that they aren't just tolerating you because you work together.:)

No comments: