Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Georgia Rule



Funny story...how could I love this movie and still hate Lindsay Lohan? I'm not sure. If she could just do movies like this and prove that she is that good person that she looks like on screen (and in the gag reels) then I might actually like her-never forgive her for having that perfect body, but that's beside the point.
GEORGIA RULE is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I wasn't sure I would like this after watching Jane Fonda's recent work in MONSTER IN LAW, but I think she fit into this role much better. Also, Felicity Huffman was extremely convincing as the confused mother and Cary Elwes was too frightening as the wily, tricky step-father. Lindsay kept me guessing the whole time-lying or not? Dermot Mulroney was adorable as always and so was new-comer Garrett Hedlund.
Garrett seems to have played roles in some well known movies, but I never would have realized it was him in this movie because his other roles were all so different. He was in FOUR BROTHERS with Mark Whalberg, he was in TROY with Brad Pitt, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS with Billy Bob, and ERAGON with Jeremy Irons. Quite the variety.

Anyway, I really just enjoyed this movie. It was quite realistic, city and country at the same time, made me laugh and cry and hate each of the characters in turn...and, most of all, it made me want to call my mom and tell her I love her-for everything she did to try to make me grow up right-for all the ways I DID grow up right and for all the ways that things could have gone better, but didn't, even. It's hard to explain, but this movie brought a lot out in me that I had forgotten was there-things I dealt with when I was younger, things I helped friends deal with, things that were so very important to me back then. I am waiting for the day when the opportunity presents itself for me to become involved in the prevention and help for these things again.

GEORGIA RULE is the story of 3 messed up, sad women who don't know how to fix their own lives or the lives of others, but realize that they really DO want to try despite every bit of resistance that they put out there, despite the lies they want to believe because they don't know if they have the strength to get through the truth, and because of the love that they really do have for each other. The men are just the background, but a great supporting cast, none-the-less.

I was a bit sad to see Cary Elwes in another asshole role, but he IS good at playing that character and that seems to be what he is playing in his later life: no more Wesley from THE PRINCESS BRIDE. I guess it's hard to find another great role like that after finding that one so early in life.

No comments: