Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Harris Family Reunion



Oh, it has been far too long! I have excuses, though: I have been planning a family reunion, working, and I got my "after travel sickness" that I seem to get every time we fly anywhere. So, this might take a bit to restart itself, but I'll get there.
Still, all the hard work and loss of energy paid off. The Harris Family Reunion came off REALLY well. Robert got the house painted (Yellow with white trim and red doors), the yard cleaned up, the trees and bushes trimmed, the tents up, the hallway painted, and all my little flags, wind chimes, and birdfeeders hung up. I have to say that the house looks absolutely wonderful and everything was just awesome! I got some great family photos and dad and Lisa came to meet some more of the Harris family.
I really couldn't believe how well everything went because Robert and I usually get so flustered when large events become our responsibility, but by some grace of God, Robert got the week before the reunion off to do everything that needed to be done. I managed to get the day before off so I could frantically clean the house (which is DID need). And, the immediate family came over to help with the raising of tents, the moving of grills, and all the other things that required more than one person to do. We were so de-stressed-we were able to be gracious hosts-as you can see from this hilarious photo of Robert walking through the crowds:

Robert's family is absolutely awesome, by the way...everyone was so helpful, so complimentary, and so good-natured about the whole event; even their rivalries between Alabama and Mississippi State didn't get in the way.:) I just really feel lucky to have a family that I feel so comfortable around. I don't feel like I have to be anything more than who I am most of the time when I'm with them-I even find myself being funnier around them because that's the type of family they are. I even love all the children in the family, which, if you know me, is a bit of an oddity. I am especially in love with our cousin Paige's son, Jake.
There is just something about him that is so touching. A photograph does not capture his vitality: he is ALWAYS on the move, always talking-sometimes in his own little language, always ready to try something new, always eating and drinking, and never demanding anything from anybody. He never stopped moving at the reunion. He always had a cup of cheetos or chips in his hand, and his little white shirt and checkered shorts were evidence of the fun he had-I wish I had gotten a photo of him at the end of the day.:) All the kids were really great-running around bare foot when I KNOW we have fire ants in our yard, but none of them seemed to be bothered by them.
Overall, it was just an awesome event. It made me wish I could see more of the family mo
re often, but time is always short, it seems. The best part of the event was that we got all 7 of Robert's dad's brothers and sisters together for a photo. It was really great to get them all together and I can't wait for everyone to see the shots. My only regret is that poor Uncle Bill got blocked out in the big group shot...his was the ONLY face I didn't get, though: that's pretty good for 50 people!
I love having huge families all around me.

No comments: