Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Trip of All Trips: Maine-the way life should be

So, we are back from our whirlwind 6 day trip to Maine (yes, that includes travel time) and I don't even know where to start with my blogging...I'm not a big fan of the really long blogs installations like my lovely brother is doing, so I think I'll be separating events, maybe. It's not necessarily going to stay chronological, but bear with me and enjoy.:)
We left for Maine on Wednesday morning at 4:30am, left Gulfport on time for once, and made it to our 2 hours layover in Atlanta without any problems. It was going to be a good trip! And then the shit hit the fan...boarding trouble, weight trouble, engine trouble...1 1/2 hours later we leave Atlanta, MAKE IT to JFK with 5 minutes to spare, but docking at the gate NEXT TO where we are leaving from so we are going to make it...and then the gate was all ready taken! SO we not only had to wait for another gate, but we had to walk from the entire OTHER SIDE of the airport to go find out what kind of flight we could get to Maine since we missed ours by 5 MINUTES! Needless to say, Robert was pissed. I would have gotten a photo, but I was slightly afraid he might get arrested for harrassing the airline folks, so I just ran along behind him while he walked the entire length of the airport in 5 minutes. Once we got to the other counter a nice lady helped us and he calmed down, even though we had to wait 6 hours in JFK for our next flight. Molly had warned me that JFK sucked for layovers and I had said, "Oh, don't worry, we only have a 40 minute layover"...and the curse began. But, hey, they gave us $7.00 food vouchers, right? HA!
So, we made it to maine at 11:30pm instead of 5:30pm, got our rental car (I have to say that the Hyundai SUV is mighty comfy), switched on my favorite radio station, and made our way up the coast to the comfy bed we knew was waiting. Boy, what a day. But, we slept well, mom made us an AWESOME breakfast of furtada and REAL Maine bacon, and we were good to go on our explorations for the day (with Lobster and Shrimp to look forward to when we got home).
Off to Brunswick we went to see our friend Molly and meet her new boyfriend. We made a detour to stop at the Walmart in Brunswick because Robert loves the Walmart and Lowes in Brunswick (they are right next to each other) because they don't LOOK like big ugly stores like they do down South. SEE?:
Downtown Brunswick is SOOOO nice! We ate at the Big Top Delicattesen where Robert had a "Gobbler" (Turkey dinner in a sandwich!) and I had an "Avacadowich". MMMM Yummy! Another reason to visit Brunswick next time! Molly looked great, he boyfriend was cool, and the weather was chilly, but PERFECT with a fleece.
Then we went to Boothbay, East Boothbay, and Boothbay Harbor to see the sights, because I have been promising to let Robert choose some stuff to do when we are in Maine...but it was busy and we didn't get out of the car and my still tired brain totally forgot to take some photos, still... it was a good little drive.
Home to the Lobsters and Mom's freshly fried, oh-so-sweet Maine shrimp, and then off to Luke's gig at mom's restaurant-The Samoset. This was a "practice gig", but it was great and it was fun-even if the acoustics aren't that awesome. A good handful of old friends (AND former babysitters of mine! ha!) showed up to see The Luke play...it was Great and hilarious to hear their comments...my old babysitter Emily asked me, "Is that moustache real or is Luke in disguise?" The photo to the left is not a good example of how his moustache looks right now, but I'll get a detailed photo when he stops here in P-town on Sunday. Anyway, I was blown away by Krista's vocals, not having heard them before. And it was so neat to see my brother and my uncle Josh play together (that's my uncle on the bass to Luke's left). Josh never quite got his career where it needed to go, but he's got talent and it's so great to see how much he loves to help Luke and to also see how different they can be in their music, yet how similar. It makes me have a little tear in the corner of my eye.:) My grandmother even came out for this gig, so we had some family bonding time interspersed with my mother visiting the kitchen to make sure everything was going well, my best friend and her boyfriend staying in the bar so as not to encrouch on Mom Time, and my mom getting to that lovely point where she starts heckling and saying, "Luke, play "when the curtain falls"! Lane, why won't he play it? Why?" I love my mom when she gets carried away with her love for Luke.;) She even had her friends at the restaurant yelling out her requests with her.
We were pooped, so we were off to bed by 10pm so we could be ready for the fair and the Schooner gathering the next day.

No comments: