Monday, September 8, 2008

MTV VMAs 2008


I don't even know how to express my disappointment in the world of music today. I'm glad that I am lucky enough to know that there is a musical world beyond MTV, but, after watching this "awards show" last night I am truly frightened for the children who are allowed to watch shows like this, who are stuck in the mainstream, and who don't know any better.
I have nothing against the British, but his Russell whatshisname is the low end of British talent. He bases himself on his ability to speak fast and be as obnoxious as possible and this who hipster/rocker sheik thing he's got going? What is THAT. I was disturbed and disgusted to see him between acts and award presenting. ICK. If we have to bring in the Brits, let's bring in some talented, SMART people to influence our kids/teens/etc.

Then there were the "musicians". I watched the show because I wanted to see Christina Aguilera's performance because she really IS talented. But, every other act was so incredibly bogus, ridiculous, full of CRAP, and just plain disturbing, it took everything in me not to leave the room and go read my book on the couch. The perfect example:
Lil Wayne is nothing more than a media seeking piece. Period. HOW are these people considered musicians? How can they walk out on stage with their ass hanging out of their pants and think that is cool? Who actually feels good about getting paid to put these people in this kind of wardrobe? This is absolutely aweful, aweful, aweful. The thing that shocked me the most about the entire show? Britney Spears was the NORMAL one.

When I was young enough to really enjoy the VMAs they were about popular music, but the "bad" kids were N*Sync or Busta Rhymes and LL Cool J. When LL and Busta looks good compared to the "talent" of today, when you can see Busta, clean shaven, barely even clapping for the performance that Lil Wayne put on, well, THEN we really know that there is something wrong. I remember watching Britney in her barely-there outfit in, what 2000? This was a shocker. Today it's not about how much skin the girls are showing-that is no longer a shock factor. It's the underwear showing, it the ridiculous hats, it's the makeup, it's saying "F***", and "Shit" and "Dick" and actually being drunk on stage. How can we let our future generations aspire to this?! HOW?! How have we let it come this far?!
I applaude Janet and Perry for being determined not to let Sarah and Abby watch TV on any sort of scale until they move out of the house. I never thought I would be a parent who refused to let my children watch something like the VMAs, but when popular television has deteriorated as much as it seems to (Paris Hilton's new TV show "My new BFF"?!)...what choice do we have if we expect our future generations to do anything but drive the country into the ground.

Robert says that it's not just about the TV, it's about the home life-because THAT is where we see it living here in the South, but I remember seeing the influence that television had on the kids I went to school with. Growing up in small town Maine we didn't know what it was like to live near the ghetto, to see the illiteracy and the stupidity of people who "don't know any better". This stuff is real, but people who don't live around it only see the glamour of the baggy pants, the "bling" and all that stupid stuff. All those "Wiggers" (or whatever you want to call them) who think they are rappers and are proud of being "ghetto" even though they live in Nowhere Coastal Maine-the ones who take it from the television...they are bringing these influences from the big cities that can't avoid it and spreading the sickness to the far reaches...make it stop!

1 comment:

Janet said...

I don't know about not letting them see mainstream TV until they move out, but I do intend to delay it until they're old enough to understand and discuss it.
But as for the VMAs, well, I'm right there with you, sista. I was APPALLED. I had to wonder if Michael Phelp's mom was still proud, or if she was embarrassed, when he announced what he listened to on his iPod, and then that thug (who was he?) got on stage and had every 3rd word bleeped.
I try to keep an open mind about this stuff, and I don't want to join in with the crazies who want to ban offensive music (offensive to whom - who's the judge or jury), but I will always strive to help my kids make good choices about their cultural influences - TV, music, magazines, etc. Unfortunately this is a very difficult goal in today's society.