Thursday, September 25, 2008

Day #2 (or 3)-Common Ground Fair...

I SWEAR that next time Robert and I go to Maine I am NOT going to schedule every moment that we are there.:) But, with Luke and the band playing 3 gigs it was hard NOT to do that this time. PLUS Robert got to see one of the coolest events that Maine has, so why should he be complaining?:) We left Mom's (with mom in tow) at 9:30am to make the 1 1/2 hour drive North (away from the coast). It was a BEAUTIFUL drive up there. We even drove by this beautiful Pumpkin patch! I wish the light had been better because it was amazing!
Anyway, the Fair was AWESOME. It was created by MOFGA: The Maine Organic Farming and Gardening Association. SO, everything there is organic, Earth-friendly, all natural, and family fun related. We saw all kinds of cool crafts, cute animals, and ate some awesome food. Mom's old 6th grade teacher and his wife had a booth for their home-made Chinese food, so we had that for lunch. They had the BEST crab rangoons I have ever had. Then I had a Strawberry Cheesecake piecone for dessert and I am kicking myself for not getting a photo of it! Mmm yummy! Our entertainment at lunch was the Kids' section of the fair doing a parade where all the kids were dressed as bugs, plants, and animals that are a part of the garden...some of the kids were just TOO cute in their little costumes. Some of these mothers must do this every year because these costumes were pretty amazing! I absolutely loved the girls on stilts and there was a teenage boy playing the bagpipes-really well!
After lunch we went to visit my friend Jenfah at the Politic Action tent where she was teaching kids how to throw pots on a little wheel and then we were off the see Luke play at the Ampitheatre. On the way we saw people spinning their own wool and got to walk through the Farmer's Market...there was just SO much to see! We even saw some cars that run on the leftover oil from restaurants WITHOUT having to run it through a cleaning system first. Then there were all the arts and crafts tents...just couldn't resist the home-made soaps and little girl clothes for our niece Lily June. Mom's favorite is the home-made, all natural laundry detergent. She got a bucket for $38.00 that will last her for a year (until the next fair, right?). She got the Jasmine scented and it smells SO good. I wish everyone could go to the Common Ground Fair!
ANYWAY...Luke played at the Ampitheatre with his great band and they were ABSOLUTELY awesome...the acoustics were great
becauseof this hill across from the stage...where all the kids were sliding on cardboard boxes. HA! You know you're with the hippies when the kids are entertained by a simple cardboard box and a hill with freshly mown grass.:) Luke has a great photo on his blog of him going down the hill.:) Anyway, the atmosphere was great, the music was great, the audience was having fun listening, dancing, playing frisbee, sliding down the hill, and watching me walk around photographing the band. I particularly loved watching my Uncle Josh be the Rockin' bass player. Look at that hair flowing in the wind!
Sigh. Good times. Plus, it was, like 65 degrees the entire time. Lovely, just lovely. I absolutely enjoyed myself and I think Robert did too...until I made him walk to trail BACK as well.:) We were a little late getting out, but made it back in time to take a breath and go back to mom's to change before we had dinner with Emily and Nick at the restaurant/bar that Luke and the band were playing at that night.

No comments: