Thursday, September 4, 2008

"The Secret Life of An American Teenager"

This show is not one of my favorites, but it is something that I can't seem to stop watching. Produced by the same folks who created 7th Heaven, Secret Life is about a 15 year old girl who has sex once and finds herself in a situation that no young girl wants to be in. It's not that the show isn't realistic-because this definitely could happen, it's not that making young girls aware of the consequences is a bad idea...I just wish that these people could ACT and teach good values at the same time. I wish that they could be honest about what they are really trying to do here instead of giving themselves a label that they think keeps them safe from being categorized with just any other nighttime drama. What is it about creating a "Christian" show that says the the show can do whatever it wants? Why do "Christian" based shows have to have such bad actors? I have nothing against the Christian values, the true stories, or the overacted drama...I don't even mind the ridiculously perfect looking actors and actresses; I just wish that they could seem more REAL and less "I'm trying to teach young kids today a lesson and I need to be as clear as possible so that I get my point across". They remind me of adults talking to kids and literally spelling things out to try to get their point across.
I can't help but think of Sarah and Abby and how Janet will deal with trying to teach them these good Christian values...I'm not sure that watching a show like this with bad acting and brow beaten morals would be a GOOD thing. I feel like putting the title "Christian" on a show like this makes the producers think that it's okay to talk about sex and teenagers and divorce in a TV drama atmosphere. Call it what it is: a nighttime Soap Opera, and get it over with. THEN it feels more acceptable to watch it because no one is fooling themselves into thinking at the ONLY reason this show is on TV is to learn something from this. Yes, maybe some kids would be smart enough to take the right things to heart from this show, but, really, I wouldn't want my kids to watch a show like this any more than I would want them to watch The OC. I think I would rather they watch the old 90210...at least they were honest about making a Dramatic TV show and nothing more.
So, the real question is, Why do I still watch the show. I guess I would have to say that I am always hopeful that something good will come out of it. Despite their lack of acting skills these young actors DO have potential-especially when learning from old school 70's/80's actors like Molly Ringwald and John Schneider (of Dukes of Hazzard Fame). There is some truth to the drama-because being in high school CAN be that ridiculous, so maybe I see some of my teenage-hood in this show. I just hope that kids don't see this and think that it's okay for that much drama to go on; or that it's necessary. Being a teenager, being in high school should be about so much more.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I hope that when S&A are old enough for me to worry about this type of stuff, we'll have the same household routine that we have now. No TV in the morning, and no TV after dinner. Just a little after school, if we're not busy with after-school stuff. And as I've said before, it's not just the shows, although many of them make me nuts, but it's also the darn commercials! Ugh!