Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sudden Changes

Mom called today to let me know that Bambi is in the hospital and that she has cancer. Bambi has been mom's best friend for as long as I can remember-she was like a 2nd mom to me growing up. She's had a hard life-especially these last 5 or 6 years dealing with an alcoholic husband who can't work and having to earn enough money to pay their mortgage herself. She went into the hospital yesterday for a ruptured tumor in her colon. Mom didn't really have much information to tell me about the whole thing, but it made me realize something about my mother that I find myself doing as well. See, mom had no idea that this was going on and apparently Bambi has known that she has cancer for 3 or 4 months and never said anything to mom-who is supposed to be her best friend. Granted, that's how Bambi is, but I would hate to think that, if one of my friends got sick, I wouldn't find out until the next DAY like mom did!

It scares me so much to think that I would become so embroiled in my own every day life that I would come out of contact with any of my friends-so much so that their significant others and family wouldn't think to call me IMMEDIATELY to tell me that something had gone wrong! Here I will make a pact with myself that I will always make time and effort to be a part of my friends' lives-because having friends and being involved with them is what life is all about. This having been said, I am now going to take the step to be okay with moving 30 minutes from work if it means being 20 minutes closer to my friends; what is snowy drive taken slowly (or getting to work an hour later) compared to precious time spent with friends after work on a long day?

Here's to friendship and the importance of it in a life that can be overrun by "have tos" and "I'm tireds". And, to all those out there who don't think I need a phone call immediately...well, you are WRONG.

No comments: