Friday, January 22, 2010

Movin' On Up at Lowes

So, about a month ago my zone manager asked me if I would be interested in moving to the Electrical Department. Honestly, I have SWORN that I won't move to Electrical or Plumbing because I have NO knowledge at all about either one of these departments, but, in the last 8 months I have realized that I have enough talent with organization and people to be able to move to a department I know nothing about and LEARN what I need to know. So, when Ted asked me if I would be interested in moving to electrical (preceeded by a compliment about how great Millwork looked on our last walk), I said, "Well, I knew this was coming, so I guess I can do that." See, the current manager of Electrical is older, with crippling arthritis that keeps him from moving very quickly and managing a department with 6 aisles. So, electrical has been going slowly downhill for a while-which is why I had been eyeing the department to see how bad it was. Honestly, I was BORED in Millwork because I was at the point where I was counting jhooks and sidestacks and making lists...so, it was time.
I've been in Electrical for a week and a 1/2 and now I'm finding my challenges to be the people, not the product.:) I all ready lost a part timer (not my fault) and my Electrical Pro is not so great about following directions while my other full timer does not speak my language...which I Find about 30% of people don't. So, these are my challenges and I am ready for them.
On the bright side, the store manager and my zone manager have all ready said that they are seeing improvements in the department and the District Manager is "excited" that I am now in Electrical.
My goals are:
1) Get our sales numbers up to make budget in BOTH departments every week
2) Get a dusting program in progress so our displays are not ALWAYS dusty
3) have 5 sidestacks on every aisle by the end of February
4) Have appropriate Jhooks on every upright by the end of January
5) Keep the lightbulb aisle completely stocked and organized (sans extra cardboard) at all times
6) Completely organize top stock bay by bay
7) Review all planograms so they are correct by the end of February

I can't believe that I actually think this is fun...who knew I would ever enjoy working for a corporation...but, did you know Lowes gets a discount with Verizon AND Mac? There ARE benefits to working for a Big Company.:)

No comments: