Friday, February 6, 2009

Memory Moment

This one is not such a positive memory, but one that stands out in my mind for sure. I do not remember the actual event in a stream of consciousness, but I remember it in a stop-motion sort of way. I think Luke was about 5 years old and we were sitting at the picnic table outside our old house. The table was on the concrete square that we used as a basketball court. I think Luke leaned back to laugh and lost his balance and then, BANG the back of his head slammed into the concrete. Like I said, I see it in slow motion, but I think it must have happened pretty fast. I believe mom as sitting on the opposite side of the table and didn't make it to Luke in time. I think I was sitting next to him because that's the way I see it. I don't remember him being picked up or how we got there, but I then remember being at my grandmother's house because of the way the light shines through her big windows onto the dark tile floor. I remember someone stitching the opening in the back of Luke's head back up-right there in my grandmother's kitchen! I don't remember him crying, which must have been me blocking out the fear of something so horrible happening. I'm pretty sure Luke has a scar still. It is one of Luke's many injuries from being a normal boy when he was growing up.:)

So, how accurate was that, mom?

No comments: