Saturday, August 29, 2009

"Emparting Wisdom" - Yeah, I can do that!

As my little sis Lindsey the Younger said, "You're in town? Emparting Wisdom?" Yes, yes I was. I was asked, along with a group of other interesting and successful graduates of Lincoln Academy, to speak to the incoming Freshman class about my experiences at Lincoln, in life, and give advice if I had any. I was pretty frightened by the idea at first, but I was honored to be asked, so I took the day off of work and it was probably the best thing I have done in a very long time.
Not only did I get to see some folks I hadn't seen for a while-teachers, classmates, etc...but I also found myself seeing my life through the eyes of these kids. Young, impressionable, and SO curious these kids were. I was so amazed by their honesty, their willingness to speak up and just ASK. We sad there in a row in front of 140 impressionable young minds who were actually willing to come and talk to us...I felt like it was really a turnaround from the kids I've seen in town, in the world lately! Mr. Walsh, my old English teacher and now DEAN of the Faculty, says that this is the class that is going to make the difference-there is something about these kids that is different and reminds him of the kids who were at Lincoln when WE were there...and I really felt like he was right.
We got questions from all across the board:
"What did you like most about high school?"
"Why did you choose Lincoln Academy?" (Lincoln is a private school, but is an option for kids from the 6 surrounding towns because of the lack of a central high school for some of those towns)
"What do you regret not doing?"
"Did Style play a big part in your high school experience?"
"Are you where you thought you would be when you were in High School?"
I jumped at this last question because it was exactly what I wanted to speak to... yes, I had answers to a lot of other questions too (Join clubs, don't limit yourself, remember everyone else is just as scared/uncomfortable as you are, Maine is awesome, Lincoln Academy IS one of the best schools in the state, etc). But, THIS, this question about direction and expectations, it was MINE. I left Lincoln Academy on the path the fame and art in the world of photography-starting out it New York and ending up in school in Maine, deciding photography wasn't my thing, moved to 4 different states, met my husband, did 5 different jobs...and eventually ended up liking working for a big corporation where I had great health insurance and sold things I would never have thought to sell in a million years...but I am doing something I am good at: Managing people. And, I may not be ANYWHERE near where I thought I would be, but I am HERE, I am happy, and I wouldn't have been able to do it without the variety of influences I had in high school and in life. And that's OK. Saying this to these kids, being completely honest, and telling the story as a whole for the first time...it really made me HAPPY about where I am. It made me like who and where I am. It made me okay with being chubby and being different and it even made me okay with being the least educated out of all the people on the panel I was sitting on. I am nothing like I thought I would be and maybe less than I thought I would want to be, but I'm me and I'm happy! I AM HAPPY!
I had kids coming up to me and asking me questions about my People to People experience and my photography and why I chose not to do it as a career, I had the entire audience laughing and smiling and getting along...and watching 2 of my best friends, sitting next to me, and inspiring these kids too was just an awesome experience.
Becca made me laugh the most-the things she said:
"I regret not taking a shop class. Girls, just do it. You'll NEED it!"
"Look to your left, right, in front, and behind...because any one of these people could be your best friend, lab partner, classmate, and so much more...and every one of those people around you are just as uncomfortable in their skin as you are no matter how put together they look on the outside."
INSPIRING. And that's it. We WERE inspiring. I WANT to be inspiring to younger folks...I'm just not sure how to do it. BUT I'm going to start with my Little Mark.
When all the little kids walked in to the gymnasium I did a double take when I saw my Little Mark walk in with FRESHMAN! This is a boy who was in Summer Camp with me when I was doing my Americorp time at Morris Farm. We bonded because he was just so little and charming and wonderful. I went to see him ride his dirtbike. We had dinner whenever I came home from Mississippi, he even came to our wedding...and then we lost touch and I was so sad, but I figured that he was doing boy things and growing up and away from me. But NO! When we had intermission from the session he came right up to me and gave me a big hug and said he missed me and that he still has the photo of us up on his fridge! So, now we have each other's phone numbers and I AM going to stay in contact and be a good influence in his life-unlike either of his parents. And I'm SO happy to have him back!
So, here I start with my Inspiring...we'll start with Mark, but I WILL find another way. I Just have to figure out what I'm good enough at that I can apply to a high school setting. Right? There's got to be SOMETHING. I remember this part of me and I hope I have the energy to bring this ME out again!
Have I mentioned how great life is?

1 comment:

Janet said...

Awesome post. So proud of you!!!