Monday, June 29, 2009

The Arootsakoostik Festival and Northern Maine

So, I had all these witty things I wanted to say about our trip up North, but it's been so long and so busy that I just can't remember any of it now.:) We DID have fun, though, despite the endless rain that Maine has been seeing lately. It rained for about 3/4 of the weekend that we were up there, but, luckily, the people who set up the Arootsakoostik Festival had tarps hung from trees and the sun DID come out for Luke and Katy's performance, which let me shoot about 150 photos of them in true Daylight, which has never happened before. I loved it! Robert and I did something we don't usually do by trusting Luke and Katy to get us a free camping site next to them with the rest of the bands (Luke said, "Besides, it's COOL to camp with the bands..." HA!). I told Robert it was a completely unpredictable situation and he said that was FINE, so, when we got there, drove down a long, bumpy, deep puddled road (in the VW) to a big field with a small area that had been bush-hogged out of a large field for our camping use and he said, "This isn't a camping area"...well, I didn't hit him over the head like I wanted to.:) We made the best of it, put our tent up in the dark (THAT was fun), realized we need to return our tent because we are OLD and don't want to crawl into a tent anymore, tried to sleep on the tiny air matress, and woke up to find out that my pee spot was about 5 feet from an actual pond/bog in the woods, and left the camp site at about 6am.:)

We DID find a great place for breakfast in Caribou (the ONLY place according to the gas station attendant) and we made the quick treck up to Fort Fairfield (FORT to the locals) to cross over to Canada with Luke and Katy. We had grand plans for buying beer and walking around, but, apparently, Canada does not have anything open before noon on Sundays, and, due to our early wakeup it was only 9am...and it was raining. So, we've been to Canada-where the highways and roads are totally weird and the signs are funny. I guess New Brunswick isn't the most exciting part of Canada to visit anyway.:)
Thoughts on Northern Maine:
I had NO idea there were THAT many potato fields in Maine!
I also had no idea tha there were so many wind turbines either...people have them in their backyards! That is so cool!
I love old houses and there are plenty of them up there...too bad there's NOTHING else to do up there.:)
Luke and Katy did a great job...too bad their sound guy sucked.
Funny story: Arootsakoostik is a new festival and, when we drove up, they informed us that they were 25 people over what they had last year...and there were probably about 60 people there total. HA!

Robert didn't have as much fun as I did, but I don't think he realized that Northern Maine means camping or hiking=excitement.:) And the rain didn't help much either (thank God for our new Bogg Boots from Reny's). Still, it was new for both of us and life experiences are all about the new:)

No comments: