Friday, August 29, 2008

Hurricane Craziness


So, it looks like I'm going to experience my first Hurricane. It all started on Monday when everyone saw that Gustav was heading our way (this was a projection of 9 days out, by the way). We had a few people coming in to look at Generators. We had a few people coming in to buy gas cans. Then one of my managers said, "Let's stackout some gas cans and generators." So, we did. Mind you, we have had over 400 5 gallon gas cans in top stock ALL YEAR LONG because we never sell them. By mid day on Tuesday we had sold out of the first set of gas cans that we put out (about 100) and sold about 10 generators (atleast $700 each). So, we brought down some more gas cans and put the rest of the generators in top stock onto the sales floor. Then, all of sudden, around 10am the store blew up and the people started pouring in. I'm surprised that there weren't fights over the last few generators. I mean, I couldn't get gas cans out of top stock fast enough. People were grabbing the cases before I could unwrap them! And, by 2pm every generator (even the displays) and every 5 gallon gas can was GONE. By the end of the night we were sold out of 2 gallon gas cans and my job turned into Seasonal Phone Operator where my answers were reduced to "NO, we don't have any generators", "no we don't have any gas cans, and "we HOPE we will get them in tomorrow, but WE'RE NOT SURE." I did not put the phone down for more than a minute until I left at 7pm that night. And THAT was 3 days ago...
We finally got 87 generators in on Thursday afternoon, but they were sold out before I got to work at noon today (friday). We also got 500 more gas cans and those sold out around 4pm today.
This whole thing amazes me...not because I think people are overreacting-because I would too if I had lost my entire life like some of these people did in Katrina-but because I've never been through this type of Natural Disaster sort of stuff. I don't even know where to start. I keep thinking we will be fine because the storm is projecting further and further west, but how bad will it be if we still get the wind and the rain from the outer rings? Will we still want to stay at our house, which is only 1 mile from the beach? Or do we want to go inland where our cars might not get flooded, but a tree might blow down on them? I guess it's a 50/50 chance. But I still take a moment every hour or so to think, "Is this really real? Am I really going to go through a hurricane?"
I just can't express how I'm feeling right now. I'm not scared, but I'm not calm. Not really stressed, but maybe a little anxious...
check out the path:
http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm7/floater9_large.html?from=hp_main_maps

No comments: