Friday, June 18, 2010

Promotions

Last week it was announced that a new Zone Manager position was opening up because Eric, our Zone 1 manager, was being promoted to Administrative manager. I have always said that I wasn't interested in moving up in the company, plus we are buying a house, plus Robert might be leaving soon, plus I'm not done cleaning up electrical yet! BUT, after 4 days of listening to everyone, yes, EVERYONE, tell me that I would do such a great job as a Zone...well, I finally decided to apply at the last minute.
I'm good at what I do. I don't have total confidence in myself, but I have enough to know that. I found out a couple days later that I was the only one in our store who got an interview (out of the 5 managers who applied), which also boosted my confidence. I thought I might have an edge because I was a female as well, but not so: all 4 of the interviewees were female!
And the new Zone Manager is...not me. I was told I interviewed really well, but my "attendance issues" were the one thing that kept me from the job. Basically, I'm only allowed 5 absences (even with a doctor's note) in a 12 month period and I've had 10. This is complete and utter ridiculousness in my opinion, but I understand the company has to protect themselves.
I'm not really disappointed. It would have been nice to up my yearly earnings to $41,000, but I would have been salary and I would have had to work at least 50 hours a week. Don't need that right now.:)
So, here's hoping I can stay at work for the next 8 months without getting sick. And then I'll just need another Zone position to open up at my store. RIGHT.:)

No comments: