Sunday, July 19, 2009

Goodbye Bud




I just want to make a note here so I remember (I am depending on this blog to keep me in the know later on in life).

Buzz (my mom's boyfriend of many years and father to my childhood best friend Whitney) had to deal with the death of his mother, Bud, a couple of months ago. She was cremated so that her ashes could be spread in the ocean as well as some of them buried in the cemetary in New Harbor with a headstone. Bud was a crazy, opinionated, pushy, wonderfully caring woman whom I found to be a presence in my life at all family gatherings and things in the last 10 years. She was short and round and jolly and a gossip and she loved her grandchildren and children fiercely. She was amazing...my fondest memories of her are from of late when she and Nam would sit on the couch at family gatherings and admire their growing broods and gossip about people they knew while wearing their wonderfully embroidered grandmother sweaters and flowy grandmother pants with their short grandmother haircuts and glasses.
Bud will be missed, but always remembered...which she made sure of by providing for a lunch at the Samoset (to give business to my mom's place of employment) for her grandmotherly friends and providing a Lobster Bake at Reny's Lobster in Round Pond for all her family...and it was all in her will.
So thoughtful and wonderful she was. It was also great to see all the Ropes family again and for Robert to meet the extended family, because, really, they ARE all like family since Whitney, Alec, Luke, and I grew up as friends...and also because, see if you can keep this straight:
BEFORE mom and Buzz got together (although they WERE first since they dated when mom was in high school) my uncle Adam and Buzz's sister Claudia had been dating. So, not only did their kids grow up together, but mom and Buzz's siblings have been dating each other for about 5 years longer than mom and Buzz have been together! Crazy, huh?

1 comment:

Janet said...

I don't know why I'm just now seeing this post - where have I been? Anyway, I enjoyed the code, and the story.
Love you!