Saturday, March 13, 2010

In the Vally of Elah

This movie was nothing I expected...I had an image of a historical film, but it ended up being another film about the War in the Middle East. Well cast and acted, I was surprised to find Charlize Theron in a very plain, but extremely passionate role. I am usually not one for the current war movies, but this one was so horrible, but without the horrible images, that I couldn't help myself from watching. It immediately made think of my friend Jason and the time he spent over there. The similarities between what I know of his time there and what the young man in this movie went through were very frightening-because this movie showed me all the things that Jason may have gone through but would never have told me about. The honesty and the matter-of-factness with which these soldiers told the story of their murdering and the effects of the war upon their bodies and minds...I just don't know. It was frightening beyond belief and made my insides turn. And, on top of all that, the plot and mystery pull you in so that you must continue to watch. There are no horrible images, but there are horrible ideas and thoughts. But, it is the most real Present Day war movie I have seen in a long time. OH, I hope these things end soon so that these many men can avoid coming home with their minds a mess. And I truly hope that Jason has not had such a horrible experience and that he can recover better than these men.

No comments: